Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Out of HotSpot

Finally writing a post after a long time......been on a trip to Pilani and Srinagar recently so got a lot to write about. Not writing about the whole trips(too much mehnat) but just about some incidents..
This post is about how I was technologically disconnected from the rest of the world. Now I have only two means of communication..one is my mobile and other GTalk GMail whatever.
But none of those worked there. Now I am a loyal customer of Tata Indicom...but as I later found out it doesn't not yet have a license to operate in J&K. First I kept waiting for signal at Jammu airport but to no avail. I thought that it will come in Srinagar but no...there was no Tata Indicom nor any other CDMA provider(I mean Reliance) to which I could have switched over.
My backup plan was the Airtel data card that i was having...now I knew for sure that Airtel was there (had checked that on Internet earlier) but what I found out was that there was no GPRS service available. :( ). So I was there in J&K with no connectivity and that too when there was Holi.

PS: Got Net facility from hotel at 180/hour!!!!! That too with a keyboard in which space bar did not work and a mouse in which middle wheel was not working..so much for 180/hr :(

And for those of you who may be visiting J&K anytime in near future please be sure to go with a GSM providor if you wanna stay connected. Aircel, Airtel and good ol BSNL operate there. Am sure every GSM provider must have some sort of understanding with these three to provide roaming services.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, in J&K as well in North-East, roaming is only provided to the postpaid users due to security concerns. I have been to Guwahati with prepaid Airtel connection but amazed to see zero network strength at Railway Station. Earlier I thought there are jammers at the Railway Station but even in the city I got no signal strength. When I met my friend at IITG, he told me that roaming is not provided to prepaid customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. both my tata and airtel data card are postpaid....
    not yet sure about gpra but checked tata is yet t oenter J&K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, you need to enter the wilderness or in this case civilized isolation, to value the worth of staying connected.

    Nice blog by the way...

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments


Stats