Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hot Processor

Today i had a new experience of cleaning computers. More accurately another way a computer can crash
Since last two weeks my comp had been restarting abruptly. Whenever I had noticed it restarted when DC was running on my comp. So initially i thought that there was some problem in some sector of my HD. So I stopped using DC. But still the problem persisted. So my next target became my Graphics card. I have already had my share of problems with graphics card earlier. So this time too i blamed it. But removing it too didn't solve the problem. So i just thought that Linux sux and maybe its not cabale of handling too much processing and started handling my comp with care putting as little pressure on it as I could.
I had also cleaned up my RAM and other prone parts but with no results.
Recently one of my batch mates (A1 to be precise) told me of his comp restarting due to overheating (exactly due to low limit set in max temp in BIOS).
So I decided to check my BIOS temperature. I went in BIOS and was shocked to see current temp at 90 degree centigrades. Now thats a lot too much for my little personal comp. Not believing it I started finding ways to check CPU temp on Linux. So I installed lm_sensors, ksensors and what not only to confirm that the temperature is really that much.
So my initial aim was to somehow force the fan to run at max speed forever (who cares about the noise). But that didnt worked out cause of some missing package :(. So next I just decided to clean up my cabinet once again. This time I touched the CPU fan (just above the processor) and found that it was a little too hot that too with plastic body. So I looked at it carefully and found that just below the fan and above the processor there was a thick layer of dust. Shocked I started trying ways to get that dust out. Finally I had to remove the fan and than clean up the whole area.
After that my comp is running with a nice temp of 55-60. Will be putting my graphics card back too soon (hell with installation of drivers :( ).
So what I learned was that given the cleanliness of my room I should regularly clean up my processor :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments


Stats