Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My experience till now with GSoC and SIP community!

Well exactly 10 days have passed since I seriously started working on the project. It is difficult to concentrate on it when you are meant to be enjoying two months at home, but still have been able to give it some time and achieve some tasks. Well am not writing this post to list out my achievements but just to share my experience till now.

Firstly, coding is the simplest part. But what to code is difficult. Have till now gone through 2 completely different API's (smack and jml) and am currently trying to get a hang of third one (joscar). For the first one (smack) there was proper documentation and such. But for the rest there is hardly any. Eve the javadocs are not updated. So it is a big problem to find out what you need in such API's. The solution ofcourse is to contact developers who till now have been willing to help me for even the simplest problems. Also Googling (wish I had googling skills of Mittal) helps but not always (for jml Google was more interested in teaching me about Java Modelling Language than the api I needed. And yes I donno what Java Modelling Language is!). Then community mailing list helps (for joscar its my only help :) ).

Secondly being part of the SIP community is just great. You can expect real time help from all the developers. For jml it would not have been possible without such help. Also we are encouraged more to be part of the community than just finish our projects.

Next update: after I integrate something (anything!) into SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments


Stats