Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why Linux?

Now I am no fan of open source movement and would gladly switch to Windows as soon as possible but circumstances forced me otherwise. In our hostel with approx 350 comps and some IP thieves its difficult to keep static IP. But I need it to run my hub (for all IT'ians Join InfInIty @ 10.9.11.193:4112 !!!!) so I was forced to shift to Linux to keep my IP. Now Linux it seems is the big brother of windows in terms of network cause in any IP conflict with windows Linux emerges as the winner. So I shifted to only because of this reason. But I had to pay heavy price for that. I had to spent an entire days to only get my songs to play; running the hub was much more difficult task. I spent my entire day editing dunno how many files to make Linux connect via a proxy. After that it got little easier as I was able to install mane things via 'yum'. But when i started to install db hub I got nice surprise as many dependency files were missing. This led to re-installation of latest Fedora 8 (it was much easier than installing every dependency). Now after again setting up Linux for proxy (this time it was much easier) I finally installed db hub and changed its setting in its config file (when will GUI of db hub come?). But it took another 2 days to figure out that it pays to switch off firewall when running a hub. In the meantime I also successfully installed 'linuxdcpp'. So after 3 days I was finally able to 'use' Linux. Using means to see the hub running and listening to songs.
Because Linux means no games and games are our lifeline (using wine sucks as it lags a lot). But its a blessing as I am now getting out of my addiction of games (CS only). But its more of a trouble as I was a very up to date windows user and saved every office file in 2007 format which is as yet unsupported by open office. Also the sound quality is not as good and playing video takes lots of processor (these maybe because of improper configuration but I tried my best and in windows such configs were much easier).
Also I still cant understand the advantage of using Linux in personal computers as as my roomie says all the development in linux are only meant to make it more like windows; so why not use windows instead. Am sure no Indian will talk about the price of using windows :).
But anyways am now getting used to the boring GUI of Linux and if anyone wants to get his Linux working can ask me.

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 comments:

  1. Microsoft Office 2007 does not support the ODF (Open Document Format) ISO standard, that's why, and ONLY why you can't read documents saved in Office 2007. Office is one of Microsoft's cash cows and they are doing everything under the sun to make it incompatible with any conceivable competitor. Some say that's only good business sense, but not when you're a monopoly. The result of their efforts will only result in more expensive and poorer quality products (but they will be real shiny way over-priced inferior products).

    It's good to see that you persevered with Linux. It seems your efforts were well worth it. When people write about the difficulties they have with Linux, they treat Windows knowledge as being acquired at birth. That's kind of like an American saying the German language is too difficult to learn. I don't feel you are saying that. But imaging how it would be to set up Windows, complete from installation disk, hunting down drivers, purchasing and installing the anti-virus software before the computer gets compromised, all without the advantage of any prior knowledge. And this just occurred to me. What if that knowledge included the threat from malware? In my thought experiment in which two groups of people without any prior knowledge of either Windows or Linux are given computers to setup, Linux wins hands down.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments


Stats